St. Patrick’s Day is a big deal in New Orleans. We mark the day with several parades where revelers throw all the fixings for an Irish stew (cabbages, potatoes, onions and carrots), along with green Mardi Gras beads. Standard St. Patrick’s Day wedding ideas include a green wedding dress or bridesmaid dresses, plaid groomsmen ties, a groom’s cake shaped like a bottle of Guinness, and green carnation boutonnieres. But here are some unique ideas for St. Patrick’s Day Weddings in New Orleans.
- Get married at St. Patrick’s Church, a National Historic Landmark designed by Irish architect James Gallier.
- Toast to many years of good luck with Absinthe Frappes, made with the Green Fairy (see recipe at bottom of page).
- Throw the fixings for an Irish stew from a French Quarter balcony, along with your bouquet!
- Hire one of several amazing Irish bands. For a list, click here.
- Give your guests keepsake St. Patrick’s Day beads with shamrock medallions with your names and wedding date.
- Have your bachelor party at one of several great Irish pubs. Choices include Pat O'Brien's, Boondock Saint, Erin Rose, Fahy’s Irish Pub, Finn McCool’s Irish Pub, Markey’s Bar, Mick’s Irish Pub, Molly’s at the Market, Parasol’s, The Holy Ground, The Kerry Irish Pub and Tracey’s.
Absinthe Frappe Recipe
- 1 1/2 oz. absinthe
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup
- 2 oz. soda water
- 6–8 mint leaves
- Crushed ice